sugarpuss means sweetface

Monday, May 18, 2009

EVOLUTION OF AN APARTMENT GARDEN: PART 1

So when I moved into my back-corner-of-the-building-apartment 3 years ago, I discovered a very neglected but workable space to garden in directly in back.

(I also have a porch area & a fern area but that's a different blog post.) Today I'll focus on the corner & my "plots" that I soon took over & made mine...

This is what the corner looked like when I moved in. A pile of bricks & dirt. Looked like people were using it as a compost pile too.
















This is what my "plots" looked like. There are about 5 of them in the back of this building. Some activity has commenced in the other plots since I've lived here. None this year but moi.





Soon after I moved in, I leveled off the place around the stump & made it into one whole box. This picture was taken last year when I got Buddha. He was a welcome addition to my garden & one I'd been wanting since I cleared the space.

Last year in pots I planted 2 kinds of basil, sunflowers & some small succulents.

In the ground I planted an Oak Leaf Hydrangea called Snow Queen (survived & is growing pretty little leaves!), a September Charm Anemone (didn't survive the winter), a Abutilon called Moonchimes (remains to be seen whether this will come back - looks like it's starting) & some ground cover called Golden Japanese Sedum (that survived only to be so thrashed by my recent digging so it's gone.)

The stump in the corner & Buddha had a hard winter...

Going...


















Going...


















Gone!

1 Comments:

Blogger bripop said...

Beautiful! Love the transformation!

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home